What is Peyronie's Disease?
Peyronie’s disease is a medical condition that affects the male reproductive system, causing a range of physical and psychological challenges. This condition is characterised by the formation of fibrous scar tissue in the penis, leading to curvature or deformity during an erection.
Peyronie’s disease affects the tunica albuginea, a tough sheath of tissue surrounding the erectile chambers of the penis. The development of fibrous plaques or scar tissue in this area can result in penile curvature, deformities, and discomfort during sexual activity. While the exact cause is not always clear, there are several factors believed to contribute to its development.
Causes of Peyronie's Disease
The exact causes of Peyronie’s disease remain under investigation, but the factors mentioned below are commonly associated with it:
- Penile Trauma: In many cases, trauma or injury to the penis, such as during sexual activity or accidents, can lead to microscopic tears in the tunica albuginea. These injuries can trigger the formation of scar tissue.
- Genetic Predisposition: A genetic link to Peyronie’s disease has been observed, with some individuals having a familial history of the condition, suggesting that certain genetic factors may increase susceptibility.
- Inflammation: Chronic inflammation in the erectile tissue can contribute to the development of Peyronie’s disease. Inflammatory responses may result from repeated infections or other medical conditions.
- Age: Peyronie’s disease is more common in older men. Age-related changes in penile tissue may make it more vulnerable to scarring and curvature.
- Microtrauma: Repetitive microtrauma from sexual activity may contribute to the development of Peyronie’s disease, particularly when the tissue does not have adequate time to heal.
- Connective Tissue Disorders: Conditions like Dupuytren’s contracture, which involve abnormal collagen production, may increase the risk of scarring in various parts of the body, including the penis.
Symptoms of Peyronie's Disease
Peyronie’s disease can manifest with several symptoms, including:
- Penile curvature: A noticeable bend or curve in the penis, which can make sexual intercourse challenging or painful.
- Penile deformity: The development of lumps, bumps, or indentations in the penile shaft.
- Pain during erections: Discomfort or pain during sexual activity due to the penile deformity or curvature.
- Erectile dysfunction: Difficulty achieving or maintaining an erection due to the physical changes in the penis.
Common Treatment Options for Peyronie's Disease
Peyronie’s disease treatment varies based on the severity of the condition. There are four approaches when it comes to Peyronie’s disease treatment in Chennai.
Collagenase Injections: Collagenase is an enzyme that breaks down collagen, a protein that contributes to the formation of scar tissue. In this treatment, your healthcare provider injects collagenase directly into the plaque or scar tissue in the penis. Over a series of injections, the medication softens the plaque, making it less prominent and reducing penile curvature.
Oral Therapies: Certain oral medications may be prescribed as part of Peyronie’s disease treatment. These medications may include vitamin E, pentoxifylline, or other anti-inflammatory drugs. While they may not completely eliminate the plaque, they help reduce the pain and discomfort associated with the condition.
- Vacuum Erection Devices:
Vacuum erection devices, otherwise known as vacuum pumps, are non-surgical tools designed to create a vacuum around the penis, drawing blood into the erectile tissue. This can help achieve an erection and temporarily straighten the penis. These devices are often used before sexual activity to enhance the quality of erections and alleviate the difficulties caused by penile curvature.
- Penile Traction Therapy:
Penile traction therapy involves the use of a medical device that gently and consistently stretches the penis over time. This controlled stretching aims to reduce penile curvature and improve symptoms. By applying gentle tension, this therapy can help remodel the scar tissue and promote the straightening of the penis. It is a non-invasive and non-surgical approach that can be effective in some cases.
In more severe cases of Peyronie’s disease, when the curvature is particularly significant or the condition does not respond well to non-surgical treatments, surgical interventions may be recommended. Surgical options include:
- Penile Plication: This procedure involves the removal of excess tissue on the side of the penis opposite the plaque. It effectively shortens the longer side of the penis, reducing curvature and straightening it.
- Plaque Incision and Grafting: During this surgery, the plaque is incised or cut, and a graft (a piece of tissue) is placed to cover the incision. This helps to maintain penile rigidity and reduce curvature.
- Penile Implants: In cases where Peyronie’s disease coexists with erectile dysfunction, penile implants may be considered. These implants can help achieve and maintain an erection, and they also address the issue of curvature.
Peyronie’s Disease Treatment in Chennai
If you are seeking Peyronie’s disease treatment in Chennai, BM Cosmetic is the perfect spot. While the exact cause of Peyronie’s disease may vary, we offer effective treatment options to address its symptoms and improve the quality of life for those affected.
If you suspect you have Peyronie’s disease or are experiencing its symptoms, call 9952099620 and book an appointment with BM cosmetic today!