Dental crowns are a go-to solution in cosmetic dentistry to restore the beauty and functionality of your smile. Dental restorations have been transforming smiles and oral health for decades, just like BM Cosmetic, the place for the best dental crown treatment in Chennai.
What are Dental Crowns?
Dental crowns, often known as tooth caps, are custom-made, tooth-shaped covers that encase the visible portion of a damaged or weakened tooth. They serve as a protective shell, restoring the tooth’s shape, strength, and appearance.
What are Dental Crowns Used For?
Dental crowns are used for a range of dental issues, including:
- Protection: To shield a weak, cracked, or heavily decayed tooth from further damage.
- Restoration: To restore a broken or fractured tooth to its natural shape and function.
- Support: To provide support to a tooth that has a large filling, preventing further damage or fracture.
- Cosmetic Enhancement: To improve the aesthetics of a discoloured, misshapen, or unsightly tooth.
- Implant Integration: To cover and complete dental implants, replacing missing teeth.
Advantages of Dental Crowns
Dental crowns offer several advantages:
- Strength and Durability: Crowns provide substantial strength to a weakened tooth, allowing it to withstand daily biting and chewing forces.
- Aesthetic Enhancement: They improve the appearance of teeth, concealing imperfections, discolorations, and irregularities.
- Protection: Crowns act as a protective barrier, preventing further damage to a compromised tooth.
- Longevity: With proper care, dental crowns can last for many years, providing a durable solution to dental issues.
Types of Dental Crowns
There are different types of dental crowns. They are explained below.
Porcelain crowns are highly regarded for their ability to closely mimic the colour, translucency, and appearance of natural teeth. This makes them an ideal choice for front teeth, where aesthetics are paramount.
Metal crowns are known for their exceptional durability and strength. They are typically made from various metal alloys, such as gold, silver, or other non-precious metals.
These crowns are an excellent choice for molars, the back teeth that endure the most substantial chewing forces. Their longevity and resilience make them a reliable option for teeth that are subjected to heavy wear and tear.
Porcelain-Fused-to-Metal (PFM) Crowns
Porcelain-fused-to-metal crowns merge the strength of metal with the aesthetic qualities of porcelain. This combination makes them suitable for both front and back teeth.
The metal core provides durability and support, while the outer porcelain layer delivers a natural appearance that can be colour-matched to adjacent teeth.
All-ceramic crowns are crafted entirely from porcelain, making them the top choice for individuals seeking excellent aesthetics and biocompatibility.
They are ideal for front and back teeth and provide a natural, translucent appearance that closely resembles natural teeth. All-ceramic crowns are highly versatile and are frequently used to enhance the beauty of smiles.
Ideal Candidates for Dental Crowns
Dental crowns are recommended for those who have:
- Decayed or damaged teeth.
- Broken or fractured teeth.
- Discoloured or misshapen teeth.
- Large fillings that compromise the tooth’s structural integrity.
- Missing teeth and require crown-supported dental bridges.
Precautions to Take Before Fitting a Dental Crown
Discuss Any Underlying Health Conditions with Your Dentist
It is crucial to inform your dentist about any pre-existing health conditions, as these can impact the compatibility and safety of the dental crown procedure. Conditions like diabetes, cardiovascular issues, or a weakened immune system can have implications for dental procedures, and your dentist will need to make any necessary adjustments to ensure your safety and the success of the crown.
Ensure Good Oral Hygiene to Minimise the Risk of Infection
Maintaining excellent oral hygiene is vital before fitting a dental crown. Any existing issues, such as gum disease or tooth decay, should be addressed and resolved before the crown placement.
Confirm Any Allergies or Sensitivities to Dental Materials
It’s essential to inform your dentist of any known allergies or sensitivities to dental materials or substances. This information is crucial for selecting the appropriate crown material and adhesive to ensure you do not have an adverse reaction to the crown.
Steps Involved in Fitting a Dental Crown
The process of getting a dental crown usually involves:
- Diagnosis: Your dentist will assess your oral health, which may involve X-rays to assess the tooth’s root and surrounding bone structure, and determine if a crown is the best solution.
- Tooth Preparation: Local anaesthesia is administered to ensure you are comfortable and don’t experience pain during the procedure. The tooth is prepared by removing the damaged or decayed portion and reshaping it to accommodate the crown.
- Impressions: Your dentist may use dental putty or digital scanning technology to create a precise impression, which is used to create a custom dental crown that fits perfectly in terms of size, shape, and alignment with your natural teeth.
- Temporary Crown: You may receive a temporary crown while your permanent crown is being crafted. It protects the reshaped tooth from sensitivity and potential damage and allows you to eat and speak comfortably while waiting for the final restoration.
- Crown Placement: Once the permanent crown is ready, it is securely bonded to your prepared tooth using dental adhesive. The dentist may make minor adjustments to your bite to ensure that your upper and lower teeth align properly with the new crown.
Dental crowns are an effective solution for multiple dental issues. The experts at BM Cosmetic, headed by Dr Rajinikanth T, make sure that you receive the best-in-class treatment when it comes to fitting a dental crown. Call 9952099620 if you’re looking for the best dental crown treatment in Chennai.