Hand and Finger Surgery
Hand and finger surgery is done when the hand is damaged due to injury or infection. The goal of the surgery is to restore the function of the hand while maintaining its appearance as normal as possible. Surgeons use many types of procedures to restore the functionality of the hands. BM Cosmetics is the best plastic surgery hospital in Chennai that can restore the functionality of your hand.
Causes of Hand and Finger Surgery
Hand and finger surgeries are usually done when the hand’s structure is damaged or deformed. Following are some of the common reasons why plastic surgeons in Chennai may advise people to undergo hand and finger surgery:
- Severe injuries to the hand that either deform the hand or change its structure
- Rheumatic diseases such as arthritis that may damage the hand’s structure will require surgery
- Defects that were present at the time of birth
- Infections on the hand that cannot be controlled with medications will require surgery
- Burns that may severely deform the hand
Surgery is required for all the aforementioned conditions. Note that these are not the only conditions that will require surgery. If you feel an injury or condition is affecting the functionality of your hand, consult with a plastic surgeon in Chennai.
Trigger finger is a condition that locks your finger in a curled position. This condition is also known as stenosing tenosynovitis. A trigger finger can cause immense pain to the person. In addition, it will also cause mental stress since the person with this condition can’t perform basic activities like buttoning a shirt. Trigger finger is a condition that heavily affects the functionality of the fingers.
Causes of Trigger Finger
Trigger finger is caused by swelling on the tendon that controls the finger movement or on the protective sheath of the tendon.
It’s common for 40-60 year olds to have trigger fingers. It is also common in people whose job requires repetitive movement under great pressure. For example, trigger fingers are common among farmers.
In addition, the following health conditions increase the risk of trigger fingers:
- Rheumatoid arthritis
Diagnosing the Trigger Finger
Doctors will use various techniques to diagnose trigger fingers. Some of the doctors’ strategies include:
- Your healthcare provider will do a physical exam
- They will ask questions about your pain and other symptoms
- They will try to straighten your finger to notice how stiff your fingers are
- Further, they may run tests like X-rays and ultrasounds to conclude
Treatment for Trigger Finger
In some cases, the trigger finger can be treated with medications. In fact, if it is in an early stage, taking rest can release the trigger finger. Sadly, this is not the case for most patients. Surgery is required to treat this condition. The good thing is that plastic surgery in Chennai is a pretty safe and effective method for releasing the trigger finger. The following is how a trigger finger will be treated:
- The first thing the top plastic surgeons in Chennai will do is apply local anaesthesia to numb your finger
- The surgeon will make a small cut in the sheath around the damaged tendon
- This cut will give space for the tendons to move freely
That’s the surgical procedure for treating trigger fingers. It is a simple procedure, so there is nothing to be afraid of. You can go home right away after the surgery.
- You will be able to move your finger freely on the day of the surgery itself
- However, returning to work depends on the type of work you do
- You may have to wear a bandage for some days till the surgery wound heals
- You will heal fully within weeks. However, if you feel consistent pain, consult your doctor immediately
Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
Carpal tunnel syndrome is a condition caused by pressure on the median nerve. The carpal tunnel is a narrow passageway that is present on the palm of the hand and is surrounded by bones and ligaments. When the median nerve that passes through the carpal tunnel is compressed, it can create numbness in your finger and hand.
Symptoms of Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
- You may feel numbness in your hands. All fingers except the pinky finger can be affected by this condition
- You may feel a tingling effect on your fingers, which may extend up to your arm
- Weakness in the hand is a common symptom of carpal tunnel syndrome. Even lifting an object can be hard
Causes of Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
As said, carpal tunnel syndrome is caused by pressure on the median nerve. Here are some reasons why your median nerve may get pressed:
- Diabetes is one of the common conditions that can result in carpal tunnel syndrome
- The same as trigger fingers, repetitive hand motion can cause carpal tunnel syndrome
- A wrist fracture is a common cause of this condition
- Finally, it can be hereditary
Diagnosing Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
Carpal tunnel syndrome can be diagnosed in many ways. Following are some of the common techniques a doctor will use to diagnose carpal tunnel syndrome:
- The doctor will ask about the symptoms. They will ask whether you are experiencing a tingling effect, weakness in your hands, and so on
- Next up, they will conduct a physical examination
- X-ray and ultrasound tests will be done
- Electromyography is a great test to determine whether you have carpal tunnel syndrome or not
Treatment for Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
Treatment for carpal tunnel syndrome includes both surgical and non-surgical methods. Wrist splinting, nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, and corticosteroids are some of the most common non-surgical treatments for carpal tunnel syndrome.
However, non-surgical treatments may not be effective for everyone. Surgical methods must be used in such cases. Surgeons use two types of surgical methods to treat carpal tunnel syndrome, which are:
- Endoscopic surgery
- Open surgery
Your surgeon will insert an endoscope to see the carpal tunnel. An endoscope is a tube-like tool to which a camera is attached. After inserting the tube, the surgeon will make one or two small incisions in the ligaments.
The main advantage of this surgery is that the aftermath is less painful than that of open surgery.
The surgeon will make a large incision in the palm. There is no need for the endoscope tool. The surgeon will make a small incision on the ligament through the larger cut. The recovery time will be longer in open surgery due to the larger cut. You don’t have to worry about this procedure since it will be carried out by the best plastic surgeon in Chennai.
- You will feel normal within weeks of the surgery
- Your hand will regain full functionality after a few weeks if you give it enough rest
- You might have to take pain medications for some days for the surgery wound, along with antibiotics
- Follow the diet plan given by your doctor for a quick recovery
Tennis players are not the only people who are prone to this condition. Tennis elbow, or lateral epicondylitis, is a common condition that occurs due to repetitive motion of the wrist and arm. Tennis elbow occurs when the tendons in your elbow are overburdened.
People whose job requires a lot of hand movement are prone to tennis elbow.
Symptoms of Tennis Elbow
You may have tennis elbow if you are experiencing the following symptoms:
- A burning sensation on the outer elbow
- Stiffness and pain in the elbow while performing everyday activities
- The elbow joint is swollen
- Unable to hold things due to weakness
Causes of Tennis Elbow
The most common causes of tennis elbow include:
- Playing some sports, like tennis, can result in tennis elbow due to the repeated use of the hand
- Cutting meat for a long time can lead to tennis elbow. This is why this condition is common among butchers
- Any occupation that involves repetitive hand motion, such as plumbing, can lead to tennis elbow
Diagnosing Tennis Elbow
The doctor will use the following methods to diagnose tennis elbow:
- Physical exams, such as applying pressure to the elbow and stretching your elbow, may be conducted
- Imaging tests like X-rays can provide enough evidence to determine whether you have tennis elbow or not
Treatments for Tennis Elbow
If the non-surgical methods didn’t provide any results even after 6 to 12 months, you may need surgery. Surgery for tennis elbow is necessary in such situations. Only surgery can bring your elbow back to full functionality.
- The doctor will either give you local or general anaesthesia to numb you. You will not feel any pain either way
- The surgeon will either make one large cut or many small ones on your elbow
- Then the damaged tendon will be removed or repaired
- After that, the surgeon will close the cuts with stitches
- You will need complete rest to let your elbow heal fully
- Avoid any activities that involve your elbow
- Follow the diet plan given to you by your doctor
- You may have to take antibiotics and pain medication for some time
- Your elbow will return to full functionality in a few weeks
The aforementioned are some of the hand and finger surgeries. At BM Cosmetics, we offer more types of surgeries to treat different types of conditions. The following are the conditions we treat using surgical methods:
- Hand and finger fractures
- Hand and finger deformities (Birth defects)
- Mallet fingers
- Limb replantation
- Ligament injuries
- Digit replantation
- Tendon injuries
Hand and Finger Surgery at BM Cosmetics
BM Cosmetics is home to the top surgeons in Chennai. The surgeons at BM Cosmetics have over two decades of experience. You will be in safe hands at BM Cosmetics. The surgeons at BM Cosmetics will use futuristic technologies to perform hand and finger surgeries. Come down to our clinic and unlock your hand’s full functionality today! Give us a call at 99520 99620 to book an appointment.