People usually visit cosmetic surgeons in Chennai to augment their lips. But for some, it is the opposite. They may have abnormally large lips or a congenital condition.
Correcting these conditions is crucial, as a person’s face is the first thing everyone notices. Any abnormality in the face, especially in a part like the lips, will have drastic effects on a person’s confidence.
Fortunately, BM Cosmetic, the best cosmetic clinic in Chennai, has a solution to this. A lip reduction surgery, or cheiloplasty in medical terms, is a surgical procedure that is used to reduce the volume of the lips.
The Ideal Candidates for Lip Reduction Surgery
Just about anyone who’s unhappy with their lips is an ideal candidate for lip reduction surgery. Most people approach BM Cosmetic for a cheiloplasty for aesthetic reasons. But there are those with other reasons as well.
- Those with abnormally large lips (Natural or Surgical)
A lip reduction surgery is recommended for those with lips that are larger than usual. They may have naturally large lips, or the size may be due to the effect of a previous augmentation procedure by a cosmetic surgeon in Chennai. They may be unhappy with the process, or the results may not be what they expected. This makes them one of the ideal candidates for lip reduction surgery.
Age is often a factor for some when it comes to asymmetric lips. It often dents a person’s confidence, forcing them to withdraw from social gatherings. A lip reduction surgery done by a cosmetic surgeon in Chennai is the correct course of action in this situation.
- Medical Conditions
Not all lip reduction surgeries are done for purely aesthetic reasons. Sometimes, there are openings on the upper lip or roof of the mouth. An opening on the lip is called a cleft lip, while an opening on the roof of the mouth is called a cleft mouth. Both of these conditions fall under the category of congenital abnormalities.
Conditions like cleft lip and cleft palate can be treated through a cosmetic surgery in Chennai.
Causes of Large Lips
Congenital conditions and surgical scars aside, there are other factors that contribute to abnormally large lips. A lip reduction surgery at BM Plastic Surgery & Aesthetic Centre, the best cosmetic clinic in Chennai, helps alter the condition and make your lips look more attractive.
The following are some of the common causes of large lips.
- Macrochelia: A condition that causes permanent swelling due to distended lymphatic spaces.
- Cheilitis Granulomatosa (CG): A rare disorder characterized by the recurrent swelling of the lips.
- Melkersson-Rosenthal Syndrome: Another rare condition that causes swelling on the face and lips. Other symptoms include recurring facial paralysis and the formation of folds and furrows in the tongue.
- Sarcoidosis: A diseases that promotes the growth of small inflammatory cells in the lungs and lymph nodes. Sarcoidosis can affect a person’s eyes, skin, heart, and other organs as well.
- Glandular Cheilitis: An inflammatory condition that affects the minor salivary glands of the lips.
What to do before the procedure
A lip reduction surgery, or cheiloplasty, comes with its own set of precautions that you must follow. These instructions are given to make sure that the procedure goes as intended and that there are no serious consequences in the healing stage.
On your first visit, our cosmetic surgeons will run an extensive checkup on the current state of your lips. After the analysis, you will be given recommendations on the type of surgery that will be performed and what to expect after the procedure.
The following are some of the common instructions you will receive before lip reduction surgery.
- Avoid smoking for at least a month before a surgery. It is recommended that you quit smoking.
- You must not take any blood-thinning medication like aspirin for 10 days before the surgery.
The Lip Reduction Procedure at BM Cosmetic, the Best Cosmetic Clinic in Chennai
A cheiloplasty is an outpatient procedure, meaning that the patient can leave the clinic on the same day. The procedure takes anywhere between 30 and 60 minutes for a single lip. A lip reduction procedure for both lips takes roughly 2 hours. The following are the steps involved in the surgery.
- You may be given local or general anaesthesia. In local anaesthesia, only the part of the body that is being operated on is numbed. You remain conscious throughout the procedure. If you’ve been given general anaesthesia, you’ll be unconscious and unaware of the procedure.
- The surgeon makes a horizontal incision in the pink inner portion of the lip(s) to be operated on. This is done to reduce scarring.
- Excess fat and tissues are removed through the horizontal incision.
- The incision is sealed with stitches.
What to do after the procedure
You will be allowed to leave the clinic the same day as the surgery. Some swelling and redness are expected and will last for a few days. Consider options like cold compressions and painkillers to treat them. You should have no trouble talking or moving comfortably during this time.
You must follow all the instructions provided by your surgeon. This includes all the medications required and care instructions for the incision site. Take a few days off work as a precaution.
Lying flat may cause swelling. It is recommended to sleep with additional support under the upper back or head.
A lip reduction surgery, or cheiloplasty, will change the way people look at you. You will feel confident in your everyday life and have a more positive outlook on life.
Choosing the best cosmetic clinic in Chennai is vital to achieving this. As a NABH-accredited centre, 10-year-old BM Cosmetic is the right choice for lip reduction surgery. We have a 35-bed facility with the latest equipment to carry out surgical and non-surgical procedures with pin-point precision.
The BM Cosmetic team, comprising of Dr Rajnikanth T, plastic and cosmetic surgeon, Dr Hemamalini, senior clinical cosmetologist, and Dr Tanuja, Senior Consultant – Medical Cosmetology, will listen to all your troubles and offer a quick and efficient resolution. Not to forget the 25 junior consultants and specialists who lend the senior surgeons and cosmetologists a helping hand.
Have any doubts? We’re here to help. Give us a call at +91 9952099620 or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org to book an appointment. We offer online consultations as well.